Tuesday 1 May 2012

Puppet making: Shoe shine

So... one of the first scene I will have to shoot is a close-up on Celso's shoes...


... and I thought I did a pretty good job with my first ever shoes sculpting attempt...


... until I got on Joshua Flynn's blog and saw this...


How humiliating... and stimulating... So I went back to my clay and managed to get to this...

By the way, the fact that I am sculpting shoes separately from the rest of the body hints that I am changing strategy... looking at Flynn's brothers amazing puppets (discovered thanks to a nice comment posted by Dead End), I really think I am going to give up with latex foam and try to do the puppet in fabrics instead... The above shoes would be used for making a hard mold and a RV silicon cast. looks easier than the foam latex way.

3 comments:

  1. Glad you finally saw the light. You can avoid a lot of pitfalls by learning from other accomplished filmmakers. No need to reinvent the wheel! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I just wanted to wish you good luck with this project! I love the Grim Fandango game, and I'm also into graphic design / film.

    I will be sure to keep following your project and I can't wait for the result!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The new shoes are impressive. Great job!

    ReplyDelete